20 October, 2007

Sunglasses

More than two weeks have passed since Modesto's birthday. I still haven't gotten the bracelet to him. I've been working during the day, staying home at night, so our paths have not crossed very often. I took the bracelet out of my bag. I didn't want to lose it.

On Tuesday I was on my way home from the local food co-op. I'd picked up a few ounces of "Fair Trade" dark-roast decaffeinated coffee beans, a sesame bagel from a local bagelry, a couple of pieces of spicy, "Mayan" dark chocolate, about an ounce of organic arugula and some organic whipped cream cheese. A cornucopia of flavor for only a few dollars.

I was waiting for the light to turn when I saw Modesto. He shook his head, and smiled "hello" in his customary fashion. He was holding a pair of stylish sunglasses in his left hand. "Nice sunglasses," I said.

He smiles. "Five dollars. I want to sell for five dollars."

I said, "You should keep them, you need to protect your eyes from the sun."

He shook his head. "No, I don't need".

As he crossed the street he turned around and called back to me, "I give you sunglasses if I don't sell them in half-hour."

No comments:

Post a Comment